When you travel the roads and highways of Palm Bay, Florida, you will see a wide variety of vehicles traveling with you. Cars, SUVs, trucks, semi-trucks, and, of course, motorcycles will all be on the road. Each vehicle driver needs to follow the rules of the road, pay close attention to their actions, and maintain awareness of their surroundings.
Out of all of the vehicles on the road, motorcycles often have a major disadvantage due to their size. It is an unfortunate reality that some other drivers on the road may not be aware that a motorcycle is near their own vehicle. This can lead to a major motorcycle accident with serious injuries and, sometimes, fatalities.
In a motorcycle crash, the accident scene can be gruesome due to the size of the motorcycle and the lack of protection that motorcycle riders are provided by the bike. Unlike other automobiles, which protect the drivers with the metal shell and also include seat belts, motorcyclists must rely on only their protective gear and helmet to keep them as safe as possible. When a motorcycle accident occurs, medical expenses and even medical treatment will be critical.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Commonly Occur?
A motorcycle accident can occur in a wide variety of ways, and each circumstance can have devastating outcomes, especially for the motorcyclist. Although not every motorcycle accident is caused by negligent or reckless drivers of other vehicles, a large majority do occur because the other driver is simply not paying attention and looking for motorcyclists in the vicinity.
Here are few of the most common ways that a motorcycle accident can occur in Palm Bay, Florida:
- Exceeding speed limits
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI)
- Changing lanes without checking a blind spot
- Right of way errors
- Left-turn accidents by the at-fault driver
- Sudden and unexpected stops lead to rear-end collisions
- Dangerous or unsafe road conditions
- Defects of the vehicle
In any of these situations, it is very important that the accident victim is first able to seek medical attention for any injuries and then calls experienced motorcycle accident lawyers to handle their personal injury case.
Steps to Take Following Motorcycle Accidents in Palm Bay, Florida
If you have never been in an accident, the feelings that often accompany the crash include panic and anxiety. Although it is common to experience these types of emotions, it is critical to stay calm and act rationally to prevent any further injury or put your personal injury case at risk.
Here are some of the most crucial steps to take following car accidents involving motorcycles:
- If possible, pull the vehicles to the side of the road to prevent the disruption of normal traffic: This will only be possible if the vehicles are able to run and all parties involved can be moved to the side of the road. Do not move anything from where the accident occurred if the circumstances are prohibitive.
- Seek medical treatment: Getting medical attention should be everyone’s number one priority. For many injuries, time is of the essence, so it is critical that those who need medical care are able to receive it immediately. Even if it appears that you are not seriously injured, you may have an injury such as whiplash that takes time to actually manifest. Being examined by an experienced medical professional is the best way to ensure that you are truly not hurt.
- Call the police: A police report will be one of the most vital pieces of evidence when it comes to your accident claim as well as talking to your insurance company. You must describe the accident in as much detail as possible to the police department so that they have a clear and accurate report for the case.
- Remain in your helmet and safety gear: Sometimes, it may be detrimental to your health to remove your helmet and safety gear. Keeping these items on also ensures that witnesses and the police officers on the scene are aware that you were wearing them, as is the law.
- You must have to exchange information with the other driver, including the driver’s insurance company and vehicle information: It is common knowledge that those involved in an accident should exchange contact and insurance information with one another. That should be the only thing you talk about with the other vehicle driver involved.
- Do not admit fault or talk about anything concerning the accident unless you are speaking with a police officer.
- Gather evidence, including photographs, videos, and eyewitness contact information: Any and all evidence that can be gathered at the scene will be crucial. After a time, gathering evidence will be difficult since the scene will be cleaned of debris, and you may not even be able to tell an accident occurred. Take photos and videos with your smartphone and talk to eyewitnesses, if there were any.
- If possible, jot down your recollection of the event when it is fresh in your memory: When the accident is clear in your mind, this is the best time to write down everything you remember or make a video/audio recording of the scene. This ensures that the details do not get lost over time.
- Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer in Palm Bay, Florida: Hiring a personal injury lawyer can help you greatly when it comes to filing a claim and fighting for compensation for your injuries, lost wages, emotional distress, and more.
If you follow these steps after having been involved in a motorcycle accident, you are doing your part to help your future personal injury claim.
Contact Our Personal Injury Attorneys to Discuss Compensation for Your Medical Bills
If you or a loved one has been involved in a serious motorcycle accident and sustained severe injuries or a family member has died in the accident as a result of another driver’s negligence or recklessness, contact Alpizar Law for a free consultation to evaluate your case.
Our personal injury lawyers have the expertise, skills, and experience to help you fight for the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Call us today to schedule your case evaluation.