When it comes to the occupational hazards associated with various industries and jobs, the construction industry ranks extremely high on the chart for occurrences of accidents. There is plenty of heavy machinery, sharp objects, heavy materials, and many other construction site hazards that may cause construction injuries during an accident.
When a construction accident occurs, it is critical that those workers involved know what to do. There are certain steps to take after a construction site accident, and our personal injury law firm at Alpizar Law will work to ensure that injured construction workers are able to file a workers’ compensation claim and fight for the benefits they deserve.
Common Causes of a Construction Site Accident
As we have pointed out, construction sites are full of dangerous materials as well as heavy machinery that should only be operated by trained professionals. Due to these factors, construction sites are frequent locations of serious injuries.
Some of the most common causes of construction accidents in Palm Bay, FL, include:
- Dangerous Equipment
- Fork Lift Accidents
- Ladder Accidents
- Elevator Accidents
- Gas Explosions
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slips and Falls
- Welding Accidents
- Structure Failures and Building Collapses
- Crane Accidents
- Construction Vehicle Collisions
- Supervisor Negligence
- Many others
Because construction accidents are unfortunately so common, most construction companies carry workers’ compensation insurance in the event that an accident occurs and a personal injury claim for workers’ compensation is filed.
Steps to Take Following a Construction Accident
When a construction accident occurs, those involved in the incident need to know what steps to take following the accident. Here are the most important actions that accident victims and their co-workers should follow:
- Get medical treatment: Obtaining medical treatment for any injuries is always the first and most important step. Once you have been gotten medical attention for any construction accident injuries that you sustained, you can then move forward with the rest of the claim.
- Report the accident to your employer and other important authorities: If a construction accident occurs, it is critical that the injured construction worker reports the incident to the proper authorities, including their employer. Most states have statutes for the specific time period in which the accident needs to be reported so that the workers’ compensation claim does not incur any delays. Be sure that after an accident occurs and has been reported, you get the accident report in writing, and it is accurate.
- Gather as much evidence as possible: Construction accident claims rely on evidence from the actual accident scene. In order to get the best possible outcome for personal injury claims, your construction accident lawyer will need evidence such as photographs, videos, eyewitness statements, and medical records. Be sure the photos and videos clearly document the unsafe condition that caused the accident.
- Contact an experienced construction accident attorney in Palm Bay, Florida: Personal injury cases that revolve around construction site accidents should be handled by an experienced injury lawyer who will fight for your workers’ comp benefits. They will work diligently and tirelessly to ensure that their clients receive workers’ compensation benefits to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering, and much more.
- File a construction accident claim: Because most companies hold workers’ comp insurance, the claim you file for your construction accident case will likely be paid out through that insurance policy. However, the insurance company may fight against your claim in order to have it denied or pay less than your injuries are worth. When you enlist the legal assistance of an experienced attorney, you can rest assured that your case will be handled expertly and you can focus on your own medical care.
If you follow these critical steps, you will be in the best possible position for the optimal outcome for your claim. In order to successfully fight for your workers’ compensation benefits from the construction company, specific actions need to be taken, paperwork filed on time, and a solid legal strategy developed to demonstrate why you deserve compensation for your injuries and losses.
At Alpizar Law in Palm Bay, Florida, the personal injury attorney you work with on your injury claim will fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. We will ensure that our client’s best interests are always at the heart of their personal injury lawsuits.
Types of Compensation to Fight for
Construction accidents may sometimes result in severe injuries and even death because of the circumstances of the incident. After an injury occurs, you will want to fight for financial compensation to pay for anything related to the accident. Our attorneys at Alpizar Law will work to recover compensation for the following:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Occupational and physical therapy
- Medical devices
- Lost wages
- Loss of potential future earning income
- Pain and suffering
If you are going to file a wrongful death claim because a loved one was killed in a construction accident, your lawyer will also fight for compensation related to:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Expenses related to the wrongful death
- Loss of inheritance, consortium, companionship, and nurturing
When you have sustained injuries or a family member was killed as a result of a construction accident, it is critical that you contact an attorney to discuss your case.
Construction Workers Deserve Compensation! Contact Our Workers’ Compensation Claim Attorneys
Construction accidents are extremely serious events and can result in some of the most severe internal injuries. Once victims have sought out their immediate medical attention, they can then figure out their next steps. A critical step is contacting a personal injury law firm as soon as possible for a free case evaluation.
At Alpizar Law, our experienced personal injury attorneys are here to help victims of constructions accidents fight for the fair compensation they deserve for their work-related injuries. Our law office is well-aware of the safety regulations that the job site should be following and will thoroughly examine the circumstances of the accident.
Call Alpizar Law to discuss your work-related injury claim in Palm Bay, Florida.