Throughout the course of the year, thousands of people become involved in a wide variety of different car accidents. Sometimes in a minor accident, there is very minimal (if any) damage to the vehicles involved and no injuries sustained by the drivers or passengers.
Other times, though, the accident scene is much more devastating due to serious injuries and major vehicle damage. When you and/or the other driver or passengers of the motor vehicle sustain injuries and losses, it is important to make sure that you follow simply do’s and don’ts of car accidents.
At Alpizar Law, LLC in Palm Bay, Florida, our car accident lawyers is here to help you fight for your rights as an accident victim and for maximum compensation from the at-fault driver. When another person causes a car accident through negligence, recklessness, or careless behavior and you are seriously injured, be sure to contact our car accident lawyer at Alpizar Law, LLC to file a lawsuit.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Palm Bay, Florida
There are many common causes of auto accidents throughout the United States. Any of those reasons can lead to severe injuries and major damage to the automobiles involved in the collision. Some of the most common causes of car crashes include:
- Distracted driving (radio, texting, eating while driving, etc.)
- Intoxicated driving (alcohol or drugs)
- Reckless driving
- Inclement weather (rain, snow, sleet, ice, hail)
- Disobeying traffic laws
- Vehicle defects or lack of maintenance
If you have been involved in a serious car accident and sustained injuries, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim against the driver of the other motor vehicle. Contact our experienced personal injury attorneys at Alpizar Law, LLC to find out what to do next after a car wreck.
What to Do When Involved in a Car Accident
Those individuals who have been in an auto collision should certainly follow a car accident checklist which includes several do’s and don’ts that will assist with the claims process. Here are some of the most important things to do after a car crash:
- Get medical attention: The health and well-being of everyone involved are of the utmost importance. Anyone who has been injured should seek medical attention before anything else can happen.
- Contact the police: Having a police report when an accident occurred is a vital piece of the claims puzzle. Without that report documenting the entire scene and getting statements from witnesses, the case will simply hinge on your word against that of the other driver.
- Exchange information: This exchange of information should include addresses, phone numbers, names, license plate numbers, car information (year, make, model), the other driver’s insurer, your own auto insurance, vehicle registration, and driver’s license numbers.
- Take photos: Just about everyone carries a smartphone with them at all times. If you have one and it was not damaged in the car accident, take photos of EVERYTHING. This should include the cars, the area around the scene of the accident, road conditions, and any hazards that may have contributed to the accident.
- Write down details: Take the time to write down as much as you can observe concerning the time, weather, location, landmarks, and anything else you think is pertinent. If possible, talk to witnesses and get their names and contact information.
- Report the accident to your insurance company: You will want to let your insurance carrier know that you have been in an accident and that there will be an insurance claim. However, you do not want to say or sign anything with the insurance company until you have spoken with an experienced attorney.
If you follow this easy-to-remember accident do’s, you should be in great shape when it comes to your injury case.
What Not to Do When Involved in an Auto Accident in Palm Bay, Florida
There are also several things that you should never do under any circumstances. These actions could result in an inability to file a lawsuit following your accident:
- Do not leave the scene: If you do not stay at the scene, you will likely lose the opportunity to file a lawsuit. Be sure to stay there until help arrives.
- Do not lose your cool: Be sure to stay calm at all times. Losing your cool will not be beneficial to anyone.
- Do not talk about the accident to anyone other than the police before you speak to an attorney: Other than the police, the only individuals you should talk to are your lawyers. This includes your car insurance company and the insurance adjusters.
- Do not accept blame or admit fault: No matter what, do not admit fault. There may be circumstances you are unaware of, and you should not accuse the other driver either.
- Do not allow yourself to be recorded: If a car insurance company attempts to record you, be sure to say that you do not give them permission to do so.
- Do not sign or settle: It is essential that you speak to an attorney before you sign any paperwork or agree to a settlement. The right car insurance policy will have limits to abide by, and our attorneys at Alpizar Law, LLC will make sure you get all of the compensation you deserve, not a measly settlement.
- Do not wait: The longer you wait to file a claim, the more time for evidence to disappear. To preserve evidence and build a strong case, you need to report the accident and start the claims process as soon as possible.
While this may seem like a lot of information, it could be the differentiating factor between getting a tiny settlement or all the compensation necessary to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers before Dealing with the Insurance Company
At Alpizar Law, LLC in Palm Bay, FL, our attorneys have the experience, skills, and expertise to fight for your rights as an accident victim and to work to obtain the best possible outcome for your claim. We specialize in injury law, and we understand the challenges of sustaining life-altering injuries due to someone else’s negligence.
From auto accidents to medical malpractice, motorcycle accident to dog bites, and everything in between, we fight for a fair settlement from insurance companies. We keep you informed of your legal rights according to state law, and our team focuses on your best interests.
Call today to schedule a free consultation!