Whether you live in Satellite Beach, Florida, or you are just taking a much-needed vacation, one of the most fun and exciting things to do while you are in Florida is to enjoy an activity in the water. There are a wide variety of personal watercraft options to choose from – sailboat, speed boat, kayak, jet ski – and each option allow individuals to have a great time at the ocean.
Unfortunately, accidents can and do happen on the water involving personal watercraft. One of the most devastating types of these incidents is a jet ski accident. Personal watercraft accidents of any kind can be very dangerous, but the involvement of a jet ski adds much more seriousness to the accident, especially for the jet skier.
Accidents Occur When Jet Skiing
Those who rent a jet ski from a local shop may be given some jet ski safety tips or a quick overview of how to operate the machine, but they generally do not have in-depth lessons before renting the watercraft. If those renting the jet skis are not experienced jet ski operators or it is their first time riding one, the likelihood of a jet ski crash rises considerably.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a jet ski accident resulting from someone else’s recklessness and sustained a serious injury, you may be eligible to file a personal injury case. At Alpizar Law, an experienced personal injury lawyer will handle your case, investigate the circumstances, and work to determine liability as well as appropriate compensation to fight for.
Most Common Jet Ski Accident Causes
There are a variety of ways that jet ski accidents can occur, depending on the situation. It is much like operating a motor vehicle on the road, except the lanes are not as well-defined. Here are some of the most common causes of jet ski accidents:
- Reckless operation: When a personal watercraft accident occurs, it is very often due to the careless operation of the vehicle. This could range from speeding to taking the jet ski into unsafe waters.
- Operator error: If people who are actually operating the jet ski are inexperienced riders, they may cause an accident due to high speeds that are uncontrollable or making turns without proper distance. Jet ski riders need to understand the machine and how to operate it properly because operator inexperience can and does lead to jet ski injury.
- Alcohol consumption or drug use: As with a motor vehicle, operating a jet ski while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not a safe way to go jet skiing. Many jet ski cases involve an operator who is impaired and cannot make good decision on the water.
- Not giving proper maintenance: Machines need to be maintained in order to continue working correctly. When they are not given the proper maintenance, a jet ski may have an equipment failure on the water which can lead to serious accidents and serious injuries.
There are plenty of other scenarios in which a jet ski accident may occur, and those who have sustained injuries may be eligible to file a personal injury claim and find for compensation.
Common Jet Ski Injuries
No matter your experience using personal watercraft, an accident can still be devastating for all those involved. Anyone who is involved in the crash should seek immediate medical attention from a health care professional to ensure that they will be able to recover from the many common injuries associated with jet skis.
Some of the most common jet ski injuries include:
- Concussions/Head injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injury to the organs
- Neck and back injuries
- Deep bruises and lacerations
Although jet skis offer an opportunity to explore the open sea without a large boat around you, they can still be the cause of severe injuries if the proper precautions are not taken. It is also always advised to wear life jackets or another personal flotation device in case you are left to swim out in the ocean.
Do Victims Need a Lawyer for Accidents Involving Jet Skis?
Victims of jet ski accidents most definitely need an attorney to represent their best interests and fight for maximum compensation for their injuries and losses. Our attorneys at Alpizar Law have vast experience representing clients involved in jet ski crashes, and we are ready, willing, and able to represent you.
As an accident victim, you deserve time to focus on healing from your injuries. The recovery process tends to be long and difficult, and dealing with mounting medical bills and the insurance company constantly calling you does not help with that process. When you enlist the legal assistance of experienced personal injury lawyers, you can take the time you need to recover while our legal team handles the rest.
Our lawyers at Alpizar Law will work diligently to gather all of the necessary evidence, documentation, and expert witness testimony to prove why your case deserves to be granted fair and reasonable compensation. We will fight for compensation for such losses and damages as:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical costs for additional surgeries, treatments, physical therapy, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship and/or consortium
- Damages to your personal property, including repairs and replacements
- Punitive damages, if applicable
When you have the legal representation of Alpizar Law on your side, you can rest easy knowing we will fight for you.
Contact Our Florida Jet Ski Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been injured in a jet ski accident caused by someone else’s recklessness or negligence, contact Alpizar Law. You may be eligible to file a lawsuit and fight for compensation. Our team offers a free initial consultation as well as a contingency fee work basis, so you do not have to worry about paying us unless we win.
Call now to learn more about fighting for compensation following a jet ski accident in Satellite Beach, Florida.